Walk-a-thon Rules & Policies
COMPETITIONS & AWARDS:
WHAT TO BRING:
- Classroom Competitions:
- Pledge Challenges – See each week's Pledge Challenge classroom competition details at bit.ly/wvwalkathon2023pledgechallenge
- Class Flag Competition – The class flag with the highest lap count within each age category (TK/K/SDC, 1st-3rd, 4th-5th) will win a class prize!
- Individual Awards: Certificates will be awarded for the following categories. (Note: Each student may only receive one award.)
- Most Laps Walked – 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place for Each Grade + Grand Champion (Schoolwide)
- Most Funds Raised – 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place for Each Grade + Grand Champion (Schoolwide)
WHAT TO BRING:
- Socks & Shoes: Be sure that your children are wearing good socks and walking shoes in order to stay comfortable and prevent injuries.
- Sun Protection: Don’t forget your hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, and water bottle. Hydrate and take breaks in the shade!
- Cash or Credit Card: Please bring cash or credit card to purchase tickets ($1 each) for use at all the WV-run food & entertainment booths. Food trucks will have their own payment methods.
- Camera: Take lots of photos and submit them to the yearbook! Only current WV students & staff can be in yearbook photos. Groups of 2+ preferred. Click Here to Submit Your Photos!
- Permission Slip Required: All participants under age 18 must have a signed permission slip from a parent/guardian to participate.
- Adult Supervision: Walk-a-thon is not a drop-off event! All children under age 16 are expected to be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Guest Policy: We welcome all West Valley students, families, and alumni to enjoy the Walkathon. If the visitor is a minor, he/she must have signed permission slip from a parent/guardian to participate (paper copies will be available). Guest lap cards are available at Check-in. Guests may not carry class flags and are not eligible for lap card rewards.
- Free T-shirts: All current WV students who participate in the Walkathon will receive a free T-shirt after checking in.
- Lap Course: Students must walk the course themselves. No one may carry a participating child or walk for the participating child. (Note: Students with disabilities are allowed special considerations for walking laps during the Walk-a-thon. Please contact the Walk-a-thon Committee prior to Walk-a-thon so arrangements may be made. We want every child to enjoy the day.)
- Class Flags: Only students and teachers may carry their own class flags. Siblings, parents, and other guests may not carry class flags.
- First Aid: Basic first aid supplies (ice & bandages for cuts/scrapes) will be available, but there are no dedicated medical personnel or facilities at the event.
- Time Conflicts: If your family has another commitment on Walkathon day, feel free to come and go – and then come back for a few more laps! Please leave your lap card at the Check-in/Check-out table until your return.
- Parking Restrictions: Please do not park along the curb by the school office – that area must be kept clear at all times and is for emergency vehicles only. Parking is also prohibited at the Brookside Apartments – your car will be towed! Street parking is available on Belleville Way, Bedford Ave, and Barton Dr. Be careful not to block driveways or fire hydrants.
- No Pets, Wheels, or Wings: In accordance with district policy, no dogs, bikes, rollerblades, scooters, or skateboards are permitted. Drones or other unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) are not allowed to be flown during Walkathon.
- Pledge Collection Deadline: Pledge donations must be received/paid through PledgeStar by the end of Monday, October 23 in order to count toward classroom competitions and individual awards/prizes.
- Matching Funds: Donors are encouraged to seek corporate matching funds for their donations. Remember, pledges are tax deductible! These extra dollars really help our school. Note: Since processing can take months, matching funds do not count toward individual awards or classroom prizes.
- Prize Eligibility: If a student is unable to attend the Walk-a-thon, please notify the Walkathon Committee. The student may still participate by getting flat donations from sponsors and is still eligible to earn prizes based on fundraising participation/totals.