Students write and illustrate a story, either at home, or school. The children may write the book with a friend/friends. It is important that the story is the child’s own work, although parents may help with proofreading. The story may be hand-written or typed. Illustrations may be hand-drawn, or computer-created.
*Some of the teachers may require that their students write a story for the faire as a writing assignment for class.
- The Young Author’s Faire takes place in the spring, generally in April.
- Announcements will be made with the deadline date to turn in finished books to teachers, as well as the dates for the West Valley Young Author’s Fair and the Santa Clara County Young Author’s Faire.
- Young authors who want to present their books at the West Valley Young Authors’ Faire will fill out a raffle ticket (provided by their teacher), and give it to their teacher with their book.
- Raffle winners will be announced. One winner will be selected from each grade level.
- Teachers will select 5 of the best books from their classes and give to judges.
- Judges will then select 2 books in each grade level from West Valley to represent our school at the Santa Clara County Reading Council Young Authors’ Faire in San Jose.
- The twelve winning books will be displayed in the Library during West Valley’s Young Author’s Faire.
- The twelve young authors who will present their books at the Santa Clara County Young Authors’ Faire will be announced.